Thursday, October 9, 2014

I Love Distress Phototinting!


Hello everyone!

I have been waiting for this challenge
~ Distress Phototinting ~
at the Compendium of Curiosities 3 Challenge. We are on challenge #12 and this one by far is my favorite as Tim has introduced us to a new way of updating old photos. You can find this technique on pg. 41 of Tim's Compendium of Curiosities III book and if you fancy an autographed copy click here.  


12.Header



I love the inspiration this week by the Curiosity Crew and many of them created tags so I did too. As usual, I can't share the technique out of respect for Tim but I can share a few close ups and the products I used to create my tag. 


This adorable little boy is my dad and he's 4 years old in this photo. It's the only photo I have of him at a young age so I cherish it beyond measure. The girl with the cute bob is his big sis, Helen. He absolutely adored her! If you take a close look you'll see that they are standing in front of a cornfield and after coloring their clothes with distress markers I decided to also color the cornstalks as well as the ground. I also enhanced the windmill so it would show up as it was very faint in the photo. 



To create my tag I began by using distress stain to color the base, then placed Tim's schoolhouse layering stencil on top and dabbed walnut stain distress ink over it. Wendy Vecchi's translucent embossing paste and Tim's sunburst layering stencil add some texture to the top.  Mustard seed distress ink was pounced on top of the rays and I spritzed it with some water to activate the other colors. I did not take step by step photos as time did not allow. I'm running at Mach 5 with my hair on fire these days so I'm just happy to enter this tag in time. :)






I used Idea-ology products with the exception of the two letter charms. R is for Ralph, my Dad's name, and H is for Helen, his sister/best friend/confidant. Life wasn't easy in rural Nebraska during the depression and at age 6 his life was altered in a drastic way. His mother passed away after giving birth to triplets. Helen and the infants went to live with their aunt in the city while the boys stayed on the farm with their dad. He lost his mom and older sister at the same time and quickly became responsible for his two younger brothers with my grandfather working full time. I can't imagine how hard it was for all of them. 



The Funkie Junkie is sponsoring this challenge and Linda's offering a $25.00 shopping spree to one lucky CC3Cer!

The Funkie Junkie Boutique



Edited: Just wanted to share that I won this challenge. I am over the moon as this particular project was very close to my heart. Thanks Curiosity Crew, it means SO much!!!



On a happy note, my baby turns 20 today so hubby and I are off for a celebratory birthday weekend with her.

Happy Birthday Sara, we love you!!!

Also, my son and DIL will be home soon and I can't wait to see them! It has been 11 months and this mama's ready for a big hug and plenty of time to catch up. :) Now you know why I've been scarce in blog land, I'm working overtime to fluff the house and yard up, cook ahead and get some of my DT projects finished so I can relax and enjoy my kids.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for looking!
Lisa xx

21 comments:

Pia S said...

There are so many cool details on this tag, combined with this old photo of your dad and aunt it looks so interesting and it can't get much more personal than this. Love how you altered the image!

Chrissy said...

Fabulous tag Lisa..I love the colours and textures and the altered photo is wonderful with the sad but lovely story along with it...life must have been so very hard back then.Hope you have a wonderful and fun time when your Son gets back home and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sarah said...

Wow Lisa this is a fabulous tag, although the story that goes with it heartbreaking. I love the addition of their initials, a really lovely touch xx

crafty creations said...

What a great story and an amazing piece of artwork Lisa - brilliant

Hels Sheridan said...

Absolutely LOVE your tag Lisa, love the colours and the embellies which set your photo off perfectly... Thanks for playing along with the CC3 Challenge, hope to see you again soon x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This is like perfect Tim Holtz style! WOW!!! Love the 70's look on the photo...oh those collars! All the embellies are perfect and love the rays peeking through! FUN FUN FUN!!! Thanks so much for joining us on the Distress Photo Tinting Challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

Sue Lelli said...

Oh how I ADORE this tag! That phopto is priceless and you did a FAB job with that technique! Have a Great weekend and enjoy your children! HUGS! xoxo

Mona Pendleton said...

Fabulous project Lisa! Love the color combo and all the fancy embellishments!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

I absolutely love love love your tag Lisa! That altered photo looks brilliant and the little trinkets dangling on the side are fab. Fantastic! Have a lovely weekend my friend xx

Candy C said...

Lisa...your tag is gorgeous! I so love every little detail that you have so purposefully and beautifully added to this piece! LOVE IT ALL! All of your use of Ideaology pieces has a purpose on this piece and I love that, too! Your photo tinting is spot on and coordinated so perfectly with your background tag. I LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing your art with all of us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Hey, girlie, I first saw this on Facebook and commented there, but wanted to leave my comment for you here, too. LOVE this tag and I really like that chain of Ideology hanging on the left. You're photo tinting is beautiful. Grrrreat job!

Lisa Minckler said...

WOO HOOO!!!! That's wonderful news. You have a great time with your kiddies. You're such a terrific mom. Happy belated birthday to your daughter too. EEEK, my son turns 20 next....gasp!! What happened?? LOL.
hugs!

Annette Green said...

I love this challenge because of all the interesting, touching stories of those in the photos. Your tag is wonderful with all the golden coloring and texture, and the photo is truly priceless. I love that it has so much meaning and history. Enjoy your family time!

Marjie Kemper said...

Your project is wonderful! The photo radiates happiness and I knew before reading your post that it had to have personal meaning. Love your coloring and all the great embellishments. Thank you for sharing this with us at CC3C!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Lisa, this is absolutely wonderful, and I'm here to congratulate you-- your tag is our Curiosity Crew's Choice for Challenge 12!!!! YAY!!! We just love your PERFECT tinting on this beautiful picture of your dad.

Thanks so much for playing along with the CC3C. Please send me an email: linda at StudioL3 dot com, and I'll get your Tim and Mario-gifted prized out ASAP!

xoxo,
Linda

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments, this project was close to my heart and to win this challenge really means a lot. xx

Meihsia Liu said...

Congratulations, Lisa. Your tag is so beautiful! Every detail is awesome! :)

Belinda Basson said...

I am so glad you won this challenge, you really did a fabulous job. It is so nice that the photo is personal and not borrowed relatives...I had to borrow one! LOL, my gran's photo just did not work. Enjoy your prize!

Vic's Creations! said...

This is a beautiful photo and the colors are so vintage. Great tag and a touching story too. Congratulations! Isn't it interesting how the love comes out in the artwork. And then we respond because we feel it. I love art!

bkazoo said...

this is an awesome piece of art. Congratulations on winning

Margaret said...

The family back together at home? Doesn't get better than that!
Your gorgeous tag is so sweet and the back story brought tears to my eyes! Beautiful tribute to your dad!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...